Check out the most exciting and innovative events coming up in our cinema.
You are here
Boi Lit 2016
Sunday 22 May
All orders will be subject to a fee of £1.50 except if your tickets are free or if you are a member
In a nutshell
The literary giants of Bengal and the works that influenced them.
In the late 19th century a group of Bengali intellectuals came to Europe for higher education and eventually were exposed to European literature as well as to the literary society of that time.
- Michael Modhushudhon Datta, who is regarded as the father of modern Bangla literature and initiated Bangle Renaissance, was highly influenced by Greek classics by Homer.
- Tagore who won Nobel prize, became acquainted with the literary society. As this year is the 150th anniversary of WB Yeats' birth, Bishwo Shahitto Kendro will be bringing Yeats and Tagore together. WB Yeats was a great friend of Tagore who also translated a number of Tagore’s works.
- D L Roy who campaigned to free India, came to England for his higher education and composed his most popular songs to the melody of the highlands.
- Bishwo Shahitto Kendro will be presenting three Bangla renaissance poets’ works that marked the modern era of Bangla arts and the original works that inspired their master pieces.
- Each poem will be illustrated with original pieces of music/semi classical dance.
What to expect
Bishwo Shahitto Kendro will be presenting three Bangla renaissance poets’ works that marked the modern era of Bangle arts and the original works that inspired the master pieces. Each poem will be illustrated with original pieces of music / semi classical dance.
Bishow Shahitto Kendro
Bishow Shahitto Kendro has been delivering literature based events in east London since 2002. BSK has developed a reputation as an organisation which specialises in delivering well researched and presented programmes. BSK invites its audiences to explore the breadth of Bengali and worldwide cultures through literature, music and visual art forms to learn from our common creative heritage. While helping new generations find role models and strength in the received wisdom of art forms which cross cultural boundaries, it actively encourages the translation of Bengali writing into English and vice-versa so as to learn from and appreciate the literature of other cultures.
Why does Rich Mix matter?
'Rich Mix is a prominent venue in east London. The staff are professional and very helpful. The facilities are very good, with good technical support. Rich Mix also helps with publicity. Rich Mix provided free events as well as tickets event and encourages community organises as well as helps to improve.'
Find out more
Things you should know
This event is wheelchair accessible.