Check out the most exciting and innovative events coming up in our cinema.
You are here
EEFF2017: The Workers Cup + Q&A (London Premiere)
Friday 16 June
All orders will be subject to a fee of £1.50 except if your tickets are free or if you are a member
what's it all about?
American documentary filmmaker Adam Sobel explores the passion and hardship that is making 2022 Qatar's World Cup a reality.
Followed by a panel discussion featuring Fabien Goa (Refugee & Migrants' Rights Team, Amnesty International), William Rook (Manager for the Mega-Sporting Events programme at the Institute for Human Rights and Business), and producers Rosie Garthwaite and Ramzy Haddad.
Tell me more (Don't worry, no spoilers)
Adam Sobel’s powerful debut takes a candid look inside Qatar’s labour camps, where the World Cup is being built on the backs of over a million migrant workers.
By following closely a group of workers from Nepal, India, Ghana and Kenya - who form a football team to compete in a tournament for the stadium's construction workers - Sobel sheds light into the slavery-like conditions in which the employees live and work.
Each match they play presents a fleeting opportunity to escape from the harsh reality of homesickness, crushed dreams and isolation.
A humane, touching and essential documentary, The Workers Cup celebrates the strength, courage and passion of the people who are constructing the 2022 World Cup stadiums, and exposes those who are exploiting them.
Things you need to know:
If you choose an e-ticket when booking, the barcode on your smart phone is a ticket. Don't queue at Ground Floor Box Office, just follow the red line on the floor all the way to the cinema!
- If you don't have a smartphone, collect your ticket at Box Office or print your e-ticket and bring it with you
- There will be minimum of 15 minutes of trailers before the film begins
- All day, any film except Event Cinema is £5 tickets for 15-25s. It's £1 more for 3D, + £1 for glasses if needed. Please bring ID with you
Mondays mean £6 single tickets or 2 for £10. Select Rich Mix Six when booking online and the discount is applied once you've logged in
- Monday and Tuesday mean film for £5 for Tower Hamlets residents or Tower Hamlets employees. Simply show an Idea Store or Tower Hamlets library card when booking. Not available online
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays mean 2 for 1 tickets with Meerkat Movies. It's really easy to get a code, see comparethemarket.com for details
This event is wheelchair accessible.