Live concert recording of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds first show in 3 years.
TAKEOVER 2018: Call-Out
TAKEOVER is an arts festival for audiences and artists aged 16-25 which has been taking place at Rich Mix since 2013. Last year we collaborated with over 30 creative partners, reaching an audience of over 3,000.
Every summer we present work across a range of genres: music, spoken word, theatre, dance, performance & live art, film & multimedia and everything in between. The TAKEOVER programme provides learning & artistic development opportunities by established artistic partners and organisations.
This year we are piloting TAKEOVER Micro-Commissions, which is a development programme aimed at East-London based individual artists, companies and collectives who work in performance, theatre, dance and multimedia.
This year’s theme: Culture for a Changing City
Rich Mix is located in London Borough of Tower Hamlets. This neighbourhood is a place where many paths cross and many new journeys begin with incredible stories to be told. Through our Culture for a Changing City programme and theme for Takeover 2018 we wish to celebrate these stories, to create new stories, to imagine the best future for our neighbourhood, to find ways to bring the many different communities together, and to remain a constant in an area of constant transformation.
We are open to a wide range of interpretations of the theme, however we would like you to consider some of the following facts about the area:
- Tower Hamlets is a microcosm of the world with one of the most diverse populations in the country, home to many communities including the largest Bangladeshi community in the country and home to 30,000 EU nationals
- The East End has a rich local history and culture
- Tower Hamlets is one of the most unequal boroughs with the highest child poverty rates in the UK
- It’s the birthplace of grime music, home to a number of young artists living in the area
- Area with one of the largest numbers of chicken shops, and trendy places vegan restaurants & Cereal Killer Cafe
…to name just a few facts and quirks about Tower Hamlets.
We will host a TAKEOVER Drop-in on Fri 23 Mar, 11am - 1pm, where you will be able to ask questions and discuss your ideas with the Rich Mix team before submitting your proposal.
- Main Space - a performance area and bar, max. capacity 375
- Venue 1 – 100 seater theatre
- Venue 2 – a naturally lit flexible space, with built-in bar, max. capacity 100
Click here and scroll down for a virtual tour of each floor.
Who can apply
- Emerging artists and producers who work across all art forms and are aged 16-25;
- Collectives and networks run by and for target young people;
- For Micro-Commissions: artists, companies and collectives who work in performance, theatre, dance and multimedia, who are aged 16-25;
- Arts organisations and established creative partners who provide development opportunities and support for young people.
We are particularly keen to hear from artists and organisations based in East London and Tower Hamlets or have links with the area, but proposals from further afield will be considered as well.
Whether you have a solid track record of producing events or making your first attempt at realising an idea you’ve had for a long time – we want to hear from you!
What we are looking for
- Proposals for live events, across all genres: music, film, performance, spoken-word, live art, comedy, multimedia and everything in between which reflect Culture for a Changing City theme;
- Artist led workshops, peer-to-peer skills share sessions, networking events, and panel discussions;
- Proposals from arts organisations and established partners for daytime workshop, masterclasses with industry experts, and practical sessions with a specific learning or development outcomes facilitated by artis, e.g.: fundraising, DJing, script writing, film programming etc.
- Ideas proposals for Micro-commissions (please see below.
This year we are piloting TAKEOVER Micro-Commissions, which is a development programme aimed at East-London based individual artists, companies and collectives who work in performance, theatre, dance and multimedia. Up to 3 artists or companies will be awarded up to 40 hours of rehearsal time in June/ July, small budget of £150, mentoring and feedback from Rich Mix producers and partners, and a public sharing during Takeover (Fri 3- Sat 4 August). This opportunity is intended to give artists time and space to explore and experiment, without pressure to produce a fully formed show at the end. We only ask that you share between 10-30 mins of your development during the public event in August – this could be a scene, script reading, a choreography or anything else you want to share at this stage with the audience. We see the public sharing as an opportunity for a wider conversation about performance and subjects.
Unfortunately, we are not able to accept proposals from individual bands or artists, however, please keep an eye on the Takeover website for call outs and other performance opportunities during the festival’s main events.
We are offering in kind support of space, technical, admin and marketing, and there’s no fee to host an event at TAKEOVER. Our aim is to keep the festival as accessible as possible so by offering free and low cost (£5-£10) ticket process for young people. Typically, there’s an 80/20 box office split on all ticketed events. We reserve 10% of all tickets to give out for free to Tower Hamlets residents, so please bear this in mind when planning your strategy. Please talk to us if you in advance if you are considering applying for funding to the Arts Council England or any other body. If your proposal has costs attached, please let us know, so that we can take this into account when we come to programme.
Please download the relevant application form below. All submissions need to be emailed to Margot Przymierska at firstname.lastname@example.org with an appropriate subject line - ‘TAKEOVER Submission’ for all general submissions, or 'TAKEOVER Micro-commission Submission’.
Application deadline is Wed 4 Apr, midnight. We will aim to get back to everyone by the end of April.
If you would like to attend the TAKEOVER Drop-in on Fri 23 Mar, please reserve your space via email email@example.com with a subject line ‘TAKEOVER Drop-in booking’.
- TAKEOVER Drop-in: Fri 23 Mar, 11am -1pm, Rich Mix
- Submission deadline: Wed 4 Apr, midnight
- TAKEOVER will launch on Fri 27 July and will run till Fri 10 Aug.
Image: Allo Mate Live, TAKEOVER 2017 - Credit William Adoasi